What is your minimum recommended shoulder

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Luis R Oliver, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Luis R Oliver New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Luis R Oliver
    I have ordered two of your cans, 30P-1 and 22L-1, they have arrived at my FFL and just waiting for tax stamps. The 30P-1 will be used on 3 rifles, Savage 12 LRPV custom in .243 with a 1.0 barrell factory threaded and I will be threading 2 rifles, one a Remi 700 BDL with a varmint (0.820) barrell in .243 and a Remi 700 CDL SF II in .257 Weatherby with a smaller contour barrell. I know I should have plenty of shoulder on the BDL, however I am not sure on the CDL, I am not home and I can not measure, which brings me to the question, what is the minimum shoulder you reccomend for the 30P-1? and will it be better to thread the .257 WM in 1/2-28 and use an adapter to 5/8-24? BTW, I had an opportunity to test fire the 22L-1 on my Pac-Lite Mark III at my FFL's indoor range and everyone was amazed by how quiet it is and specially the lack of first round pop.

2. Shane Coppinger Production

• Instructor
    Shane Coppinger
    Luis,

.725" is pretty much the minimum for 5/8" threads. You could cheat it down to .7", but that's really starting to push it.

1/2" thread is to small for a for a .25 cal., the wall between the root of the thread and the grooves of the rifling is to thin. You could go with a 9/16" x 24, min. shoulder dia. would need to be .65".

Measure your barrel dia. .6" from the muzzle, that's where the shoulder needs to be. You may have to cut the barrel back a bit to get the shoulder you need.

3. Luis R Oliver New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Luis R Oliver
    Thank you.

4. Luis R Oliver New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Luis R Oliver
    Shane, it turns out it has a diameter of 0.657 so I will not get a chance to try the 30P-1 on it but I am sure I will enjoy it on the other two rifles.

5. Luis R Oliver New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Luis R Oliver
    Shane, I have located a supplier of thread adapters @ www.trosusa.com that will machine an adapter to go from 9/16 x 24 to 5/8 X 24 out of .750 HEX stock in stainless with a thread protector for around $68.00 plus shipping. What are your thought on doing this keeping in mind that the main objective is not to quiet this gun down to the level of a sub-sonic .308 but rather to decrease muzzle jump and recoil as the main objective. Is this barrell too thin to even mess with or do you agree with me in the area of muzzle junp and recoil reduction advantages?