Technique: Reverse Kneeling

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Zak Smith, May 18, 2011.

1. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    A conventional kneeling position utilizes the weak-side knee as a support for the weak-side elbow, which in turn provides a more rigid support mechanism for the front of the rifle. Here is a typical kneeling position in the field:

[​IMG]

This provides a steady support for the front of the rifle, but the rear of the rifle is unsupported; the strong arm has no support.

Reverse kneeling is used when there is another support for the front of the rifle, such as a fence, log, barricade, post, tree, rock, etc. When a front support is present, switch from a "weak knee up" kneeling position to a "strong knee up" position. In other words, for a right-handed shooter, the left knee is on the ground and the right foot is on the ground; the right knee is elevated. The right elbow is paced on the right knee. This provides the rear of the gun, supported by the strong side arm and knee, a rigid, sturdy support structure. The rifle is now supported front and rear.

Here are some examples of reverse kneeling. In the following three cases, the weak hand is used to steady the fore-end of the rifle on a support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this example, the front of the rifle is supported using the "magazine monopod" technique that works pretty well in some circumstances on the AR-15 platform.

[​IMG]

Contrast to this example where the shooter is not using the reverse kneeling position. The front of the rifle is supported by the barricade, but a lot of stability is being given up because reverse kneeling is not being used. Note that in this situation, the shooter would have to move the rifle around the side of the barricade because the top is too high for him to use reverse kneeling.

[​IMG]

In this example, there's no reason he couldn't be using reverse kneeling.

[​IMG]

Finally, here's a hint of how you can combine reverse kneeling with shooting sticks for a high but very steady field position. This shooter also used his pack to raise up the effective height of his right knee.

[​IMG]

2. Austin Angus New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Austin Angus
    Chuck showed Tim and I this down at Raton last year. Made a huge difference over our standard kneeling off of sticks shots.

3. Irisharrow New Member

Irisharrow
    Ya, to bad we still suck!

4. Ray Sanchez Sales & Demos

• Instructor
    Ray Sanchez
    Austin shot pretty dam good on day two. Must have been the instruction Shane and I gave him

5. Austin Angus New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Austin Angus
    Hell ya it was Raydog! My head was so far up my ass on day one! You and Shane helped me out a ton and day 2 went a lot better. Well except for the first stage where my head was still a little buried.

I guess thats the benefits of hangin out with the Safari #1 and #2 shooters from team TBAC!