ShhhhhhListen's Youtube video: Subsonic vs. Supersonic .308 with 30P

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Zak Smith, May 19, 2011.

1. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith

2. Adam11 New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Adam11
    Man, that is quiet. What kind of subsonic ammo is that? have you chrono'd the subsonic stuff yet?

3. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    I don't know-- my guess is it's his own homebrew.

When I load sub, usually in .300 Fireball, I load to about 1050-1100 fps.

4. Ben New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Ben
    I posted the video. I am a graduate student at CSU (plus a 2 year old) and have no capacity or time for reloading. I was running HSM subsonic with moly 175gr Sierra HPBT. You can get the rounds and details from Snipercentral. The load has given very limited success with 1/10 keyhole at 100yds and groups of 5in. Looking for a better factory round, but is low on the priority list since this rifle typically shoots at longer ranges. Suppressor works great though!

5. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Hi Ben, good to see you here.

I know you said you don't reload, but let me just make a few comments about it. Typically a stabilization problem like that can be fixed by going to a shorter bullet, or one that has a blunt tip and a flat base. If you are getting any keyholes, I wouldn't recommend shooting more of those rounds through the can to prevent potential damage.

6. Ben New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Ben
    Thanks for the tip. I stopped shooting those rounds after the two boxes I had just for the reason you stated. I had looked at the EBR Thumper rounds but just never felt the need to spend any more money on rounds that have no utility for me (however cool the "ffflllt" is). I have been running only supersonic for the last year and a half. Thanks again for the tip though!