Question about the TBAC brake, and heat.

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by jaycoux, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jaycoux New Member

jaycoux
    Lots of heat. So I had to remove the 338 BA brake on my awsm a while back. I used a propane torch to heat the red locktite that was used on the brake. I heated over the brake where the threads for the barrel would be. I stopped periodically to try and break it loose. It took a few tries.

Today I started to thread it back on a different ai barrel (AXMC) and the brake did not want to thread on very far, maybe a few turns before it started locking up. I've felt threads that are tough due to carbon buildup but this seemed a bit different. I am curious if I ruined my brake or if I just need to give it some elbow grease.

The threads are the standard ai pattern; I checked and the 2 port AI brake threads on the barrel with no problem.

Ideas? Should I just buy a new brake?

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    We get them extremely hot when we heat treat them and the dimensions are not screwed up.

I guess it's possible something happened to it during heating, or it was asymmetrically heated.

Another possibility is that the AXMC's threads are too large. Brakes (not suppressor mount brakes) are almost never cut to a very tight spec because there's no reason to. However, this would be the first metric AI barrel with threads too large, if it ended up to be that.

The first thing I would actually check is that all the red loctite has been cleaned out of the brake inner threads. That would gum it up for sure. If that's not it, go ahead and send it in. We can inspect and gauge it.

3. jaycoux New Member

jaycoux
    Negative. Just needed to be cleaned up. You would think at some point I would figure this out. Carbon. Locktite. Difficult to turn. Geesh. Sorry.

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Glad you got it!