Publishing Sound Reduction Numbers

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by TnRedneck, May 21, 2011.

1. TnRedneck New Member

TnRedneck
    It seems we all are in quest of that most elusive beast - "The Quietest Suppressors." TBAC's position on publishing sound level values is the same or similar to several others for similar reasons and this position is very understandable. However, from a consumers point of view this puts us in a bit of a quandry. Most of us do not have the resources or the means to purchase all of the suppressors available , screw them on our rifle and 'test' them ourselves.

Therefore, we must rely on sources of information that sometimes are not the best. Is there are forum or testing service ( i.e. the "Underwriters Laboratory" of suppressors ) that exists where we, the consumer, can go and with which you, the manufacturer, are comfortable, to see accurate comparisons?

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Hi,

There have been several attempts for third parties to provide objective sound-test data. John Titsworth's site, silencerresearch.com, was one of them. We sent him a 30P-1 to test approx 18 months ago and as far as we can tell, he never did his next round of .308 suppressor testing.

I understand and empathize with your frustrations. Before we started the company, we were all silencer shooters, and mostly in the same boat. Besides not knowing what suppression levels were believable, the issues of repeatability and accuracy were mostly glossed over by the big players at that time.

A pattern we've noticed is that a lot of people who are researching their first silencer purchase use price and "reported" dB reduction as their primary factors; however, if you ask a half-dozen silencer owners what they think is important about suppressor choice, you usually hear other factors inclduded: repeatability, accuracy, weight, and customer service.

Anybody interested in precision/long-range shooting knows that if your rifle isn't accurate or the zero is not repeatable, the rifle is useless. The same applies to silencers. We believe that the best rifle silencer is not necessarily the quietest one; it's the one that is accurate, repeatable, and has an excellent suppression level. That's why those things essentially define our goals in designing and manufacturing our cans.

SnipersHide did a shootout with our can, a Sandstorm, and a Shark, and the results are here
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2096234&page=1
    It wasn't a very big test, but we did have the best accuracy and suppression.

thanks
    Zak

3. TnRedneck New Member

TnRedneck
    Thank you for the prompt reply. This is not our first purchase and we do agree with most users on the priorities you mention above. Weight is typically not an issue with us. We don't have to hump our gear very far to get to where we are needed. Customer Service has not been an issue because we haven't needed any. In the past, our shooting ranges have typically been short, approximately 57 yards - more or less; however, lately we are seeing the need for much longer ranges, which is why we have gone to the .300 Win Mag on our latest purchase and there repeatability and accuracy will become significant factors. We tend to use subsonic ammunition for our initial interdiction and there sound level becomes an important factor.

I have long followed John at silencerresearch.com to the point of paying to support his efforts. He was responsible in a way for our first purchases in the .308 arena. Based on his reporting, we had Mark White @ Sound Technologies build a couple of suppressors for us. Mark has since collaborated with another manufacturer and is not actively building on his own. We would welcome a new report from him because there are now a more diverse number of players in the suppressor market.

I did look at the Sniper's Hide video and the problem I have with it is the speaker starts talking about a Surefire suppressor but the written description talks about the 30P. So I was confused.

We haven't decided what we are going to do yet except it does look like we are in for purchasing three units.
    We will probably split them up between manufactures so we can do our own comparisons.

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Not sure what you mean. In the video that's inline in that thread where Frank talks, nobody says the word Surefire.

If your organization needs sound test data to help its decision, we can probably provide some of that to you via private communication. It might be best to have Ray Sanchez (Sales/Demos) give you a call to discuss your needs. Shoot your contact info over if you'd like him to do that.

thanks
    Zak

5. TnRedneck New Member

TnRedneck
    Thanks for your replies. I'm sorry but I too can not find that reference or video. I have no idea where I saw that or now if I ever saw it. When we get back from this project I'll give Ray a call. I suspect we already know what we are going to do but we will confirm first. Again thanks and congratulations on your new machine. It looks like a dandy.