Over tightening the muzzlebreak

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Wheels, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Wheels New Member

Wheels
    So I got my 223 ultra can in finally. I installed the break and per instructions it said to time it within 22 degrees of center by hand and tighten the rest. That seemed an awful lot to me and with no peel wash I was 16 degrees from center so I just tightened from there with no need of peel washe . I used high temperature loctite and it seems solid. I was able to tighten with just a cresent and holding stock with other hand so I didn't think I would be over tightening However I went and shot and this gun prior to the can was shooting easy 1 hole groups at 100 and even at 200 when I do my part. It's seems to have really opened up. Could I have over tightened and hurt the crown? It is a heavy bull. If not do you normally have to redevelop loads when using a can. I have no baffle strikes of any sort. Thanks in advance

Matt

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    If you just tightened it holding the stock with your other hand, it is extremely unlikely that you over tightened it.

If adding the suppressor opens up groups, it's usually due to alignment of the muzzle threads or something else wrong with the muzzle threads.

How big is the suppressed to unsuppressed POI shift?

3. Wheels New Member

Wheels
    I am trying to remember and will be a couple days before I get back home. I know the vertical was 2moa up adjustment for supressor on. Is there something I can look for on threading? Thx Zac. You got me worried now

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    If the brake is not 100% against the shoulder it will cause accuracy problems

5. Wheels New Member

Wheels
    It is definitely against the shoulder. And I know he said he does the concentric to the bore.

6. Wheels New Member

Wheels
    Zac if I test for you when I get home for POI shift on and off will the muzzle break alone affect anything or do I have to heat and remove it too? Thanks again. Hope yall are having happy holidays

7. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Just check the POI with just the brake, and POI with the suppressor mounted on the brake

8. Wheels New Member

Wheels
    With can on the poi shifts 1/2" left and 1.5" low at 100 yds

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  9. Wheels New Member

Wheels
  10. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    That's not bad, it does not indicate enough misalignment to matter