Noise reduction

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by maurie, May 17, 2011.

1. maurie New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    maurie
    30P1 on a Savage 223, shot 12 rounds through it today for the first time and was disappointed in the noise reduction, You can tell there was some reduction but not enough to justify the cost or the hassle of getting approval.

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Hi Maurie,

The 30P-1 is not the best suppressor for the .223. It was designed around the .308 and works very well on 6.5mm's up to .300WM. The 223P-1 was designed around the .223 cartridge and has excellent suppression levels with that cartridge. If your objective is to use one suppressor on both .223 and .308, the 30P-1 will be a compromise on the .223, but it will work. There should still be a night and day difference between shooting unsuppressed and shooting .223 through the 30P-1, though.

Silencers are not "Hollywood quiet" like you might expect from the movies, especially not with supersonic ammunition. The suppressor cannot remove the sonic boom (crack) that results from bullet flight. The closest that you can get to Hollywood quiet is using subsonic ammunition.

If you'd like to discuss your experience or have questions, please give me a call. 970-232-4468

thanks
    Zak

3. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Here's a 30P-1 on a Weatherby .223 bolt rifle using a thread adapter

4. Cooptroop New Member

Cooptroop
    That very quiet !
    I need a gun for coyote hunting, and I don't want to wear walker game ears to shoot.

5. maurie New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    maurie
    I agree that's very quiet. A similar video of the same gentleman shooting a 308 convinced me to buy the suppressor. I understand it can't be as efficient on a 223 but mine stills sounds like a rifle not a BB gun like in the video. I have to wear a noise cancelling headset and anyone around me does likewise. I don't think it's the bullet flight I am hearing.

6. Justin heath New Member

Justin heath
    I shoot .223 and 22-250 through my 30p-1. Does a fantastic job. Couldn't be any more happy. Well yes I could... If I just had 2 or 3 or 4 more. :)

7. logic New Member

logic
    If it sounds like a BB gun, then they are using subsonic ammo, a mere 1000 fps of velocity, which, in 223, means it will hit about like a 9mm pistol, it will have a bit over 200 ft lbs of energy, using a 100 gr bullet. A good can, on a 223, makes it sound about like and unsuppressed .22lr, out of a rifle, using reglular old high speed plinder ammo. With an autorifle, there will be a bit of ejection port "pop" noise added to the sonic crack of the full velocity ammo, too. If you are shooting at ranges inside 100 yds, or so, you will also have bullet impact noise, if you hit anything solid.