Left-handed rifle fora lefty?

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Seth, May 24, 2012.

1. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    Hi all,
    I have recently become interested in the "practical long-range" style of shooting. I think at some point I may be interested in attending one of the training classes or attend/compete in an event. I would already be signed up for a class this summer but my school schedule doesn't seem to coincide well with the classes scheduled:(
    I am a lefty and I would imagine like most others, I grew up shooting right handed rifles. I've never really felt the need to seek out a left handed gun. Most of my rifle usage so far has been deer hunting from a treestand. Most stands I use have some type of horizontal support to rest the gun on so it's pretty easy for me to work the bolt with my right hand and stay reasonably on target while doing so. I currently have three right-handed bolt action rifles ;2 Remington 700 models(.308 & .223) as well as a Winchester M70 in .25WSSM.
    My question is; if at any point in the future I begin to compete seriously, will I be better off if I have a left-handed rifle?
    I ask because I'm at the point where I want to either have GAP(or similar shop) upgrade my .308, or, have them build me a left-handed gun. I think I could save some money because i have already upgraded a few features of my .308 such as the stock and trigger.
    I would appreciate any insight those of you who are involved with the type of shooting could provide. Do most lefties at these events use left-handed rifles? Do any of them use right-handed ones even though they are lefties?
    Thanks for the advice and all the useful stuff I've already learned about from my reading so far!
    Seth

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    No, in fact there is a good argument that shooting a "wrong handed" rifle is faster because you do not have to remove your firing grip to run the bolt.

3. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    Great! Thanks for getting back so quickly!
    I must say, your articles have been a great help in getting me going! Keep 'em coming!

4. MinnesotaDan New Member

MinnesotaDan
    As a Lefty I use them both. Have 6 LRT in right hand and 2 in left hand. As Zak mentioned it is a mater of preference, I like the fact that I do not have to move my head as much with the LH actions. Helps if you want to record your results. During some forms of practice I will use the books to record shots so I also write with my left hand, allow me to be just a little more compact in the movements necessary to do to the tasks during practice. During matches seem to make little difference. You may want to get behind your RH action and just practice, pretending you are writing and running a left hand bolt.
    -Dan