Lapua .260 Rem brass now available!

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Zak Smith, May 17, 2011.

1. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    This is going to be the brass to use for the .260 Remington. My shipment showed up today. It should be available for ordering from US component dealers.

2. Jeff Resident capitalist

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Jeff
    My shipment of 2000 Lapua .260 cases showed up today. This is nice stuff and looks significantly better than the Remington 260 I have been using. If anyone would like to buy some in quantities of greater than 250 cases PM me.

3. Austin Angus New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Austin Angus
    Nice!! Looks like I will be getting a .260 soon! If only they made 7mm RM brass...

4. Wendell Sullivent New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Wendell Sullivent
    Zak,
    Great looking web site, Got my 500 in 2 wks ago and they look great, now I need to get my custom finished

5. Paul Shepardson New Member

Paul Shepardson
    Just ordered 300 cases today! Now if I only had a .260 :D

6. John Murphy New Member

John Murphy
    Question folks - I've never loaded with new factory brass - Always once shot factory ammo out of my own gun, for my gun. Do people end up full length sizing/trimming the Lapua .260 brass the first time? What is typical case prep for this brass in your own guns?

(Don't have my barrell at the moment, so I can't even say if it would fit right now!).

Thanks in advance!

7. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    You can just load the Lapua brass from the box.

8. Paul Shepardson New Member

Paul Shepardson
    You can get really carried away with "Brass Preparation".

A couple things I always do to new brass:

1. uniform the primer pockets
    2. trim them all to a uniform length (all done on my RCBS Trim Pro using a 3 way cutter head)
    - chamfer the inside of the mouth
    - chamfer the outside of the neck
    3. after the first firing, i turn the necks
    4. I use a competition seating die with various busings

It takes time but i enjoy it.

9. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Ray and I both get match-winning performance just loading Lapua from the box. That's why you spend 2x what it costs to buy Winchester or Remington brass.

10. Paul Shepardson New Member

Paul Shepardson
    Can't disagree with those results Zak.

Just sharing what i do - not what you or anyone else should do. I have a small fortune in relating equipment and it give a piece of mind knowing that i have done most every thing (except wiggling brass, measuring wall thickness,etc.) i can do to make the most accurate / precision reloads possible. I also do believe in weighing bullets and sorting to the .1 of a grain and even measuring the bearing surface of each bullet to make sure your ES is absolutely the lowest it can possibly be. I recently took 1,000 Berger 300g Hybrids and weighed each one and saw a consistent dispersion of bullet weights from 299.7g all the way to 300.5g and a few 301.4g's. At extreme distances of 1,500 - 2,500 yards i have to believe that bullets weighting nearly a grain different will have an impact on your accuracy.

A good shooter (you, Ray, Shane, etc.) can get away with standard reloads because you have a lot more experience in reading/calling wind and competitive rifle shooting. There is also some truth in the fact that Tiger Woods can shoot sub par rounds with golf clubs purchased at Wal-Mart.

11. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Back when I was shooting Remington .260 brass, I once sorted my lot into those that were within X grains (I don't remember if it was 1gr, 2gr, 3gr, or whatever), and then I put everything that was too high or too low vs. the sort criteria in a box.

Months later, I loaded rounds using brass from that "discard box" as an experiment, and I couldn't tell the difference between that batch of ammo and the prior one. This was not at extreme distance, just the regular working distances of .260.

FWIW..

12. Paul Shepardson New Member

Paul Shepardson
    I am not convinced weghing brass is worth the effort. Bench Rester's do because they only shoot a dozen rounds at a match and have the rest of the time between matches to crawl into their basements and let they anal tendencies go wild. I guess I may be a recovering bench rester :)

13. Capt Academy New Member

Capt Academy
    I have also ordered 260 Lapua brass, however, I don't have a 260 in my hands yet. I hope to have one in the next month or two. I will be running your 30-P can on it, which is currently on my 308. The can works like a champ!

What is the recoil difference between a 260 and 308 without the suppressor? Is there any difference?

14. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Yes, a noticeable amount, should be roughly 25-30% less free recoil energy.

15. Leo Ahearn New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Leo Ahearn
    Regarding "match winning performance right out of the box", I always run a sizing button into the neck of new Lapua brass as their packing method results in deformed necks by the time it makes it to your door. A little inside chamfering is not a bad idea either, once the neck is straightened out.

Another note specific to this brass - the neck OD of the loaded round is found to be by many in the .003" larger range than other brass used for 260. Be sure and check with the maker of your rifle for the specs used in the reamer, as some "match" 260 reamers in use today will not generate enough neck ID to loaded round OD clearance for field use and could result in an unsafe pressure situation in your rifle.

16. Michael Aos New Member

Michael Aos
    I haven't measured anything, but looking at the new brass I just received, I sure don't see any obvious issues.

17. Leo Ahearn New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Leo Ahearn
    Well unless your eyes and hands are capable of discerning a few thousandths of an inch that represents a one percent difference in overall size, I am not surprised.

18. Jeff Resident capitalist

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Jeff
    Chuckle (from above). I have done ok with Lapua 260 of of the box. However, as I stated above, one of my most recent boxes had ~18% "dented" necks that required resizing.

19. Lionel Francis New Member

Lionel Francis
    ok if i have a rifle chambered for a .260 reminton, will it shoot lapua's 6.5x47mm or hornady's 6.5 creedmore

20. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Nope, not unless you change the barrel out.