Getting my rifle set up.

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Seth, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    I'm now planning the set-up for my rifle that I will be taking to the September Thunder Beast class in NM and I could use some advice on a couple of specific things. The rifle is a Remington 700 5R in .308. I'm going to get a Premier 3-15x50mm Heritage Tactical with the Single turn 15 MRAD knobs. This should get me out to 1000 yds in a single turn.
    My question is, should a get a 20 MOA base to mount it on if I already have a 0 MOA EGW base I can use?
    Second question; when I go to look for a sling, should I get something that makes carrying the rifle the most comfortable or a sling meant to aid in shooting?
    Gracias!
    Seth

2. C Ward New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    C Ward
    Always a good rule of thumb to never put anything on the rifle that does not preform a shooting function , so yes get a shooting sling . The 0 MOA base will work but the 20 would be better to get the most usable elevation from the scope .

3. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    If you can dial "up" enough with the 0 MOA base to make it to your max target distance, then there's no need to change it.

I recommend a simple style sling with an arm loop, such as the AI sling.

hope this helps
    Zak

4. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    Thanks for the tips fellas!

I got the stock for my build today! HS Precision with adjustable LOP and cheek. Hopefully the gun will be here by the end of the week! I also ordered a Premier Heritage Tactical to go on top. IMG_0428.jpg

5. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    Here is my new baby! I put the barreled action in the new stock and mounted the scope for a quick trial before sending it off to the gunsmith yesterday to do some additional work. I'm getting the barrel threaded to make use of my 30P-1 that is on order as well as a Badger DBM system, trigger-job, truing the action, setting back the barrel, and dura-coating.
    I'm really impressed the Premier scope! The Gen II XR reticle is very fine which I was hoping for.
    I was also able to find a used Swaro LRF on ebay for $600!
    I'm ready to get out to NM and do some shootin'!

Attached Files:

• 5R.jpg
      5R.jpg
      File size:
      148.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    Well, after much inter-web reading and discussion with my Smith we decided to ditch the factory barrel on my 700 and put on a Shillen .264 hand select match barrel with a #7 contour. I deliberated between chambering in 6.5 CM or .260 Remington but have decided on .260. I have ordered some 142 SMKs and some 139 Scenars to try in Lapua brass to see which it prefers. I also ordered some RL-17 powder. I read Zac's recommendation of starting at 40 grains of RL-17 and working up to find a good load. Any suggestions for seating distance away from the lands with these bullets? I've read that SMKs like a little "jump" but I don't personally know that to be true or false. As far as the Lapuas I don't really know where to start. Normally, I would find a factory load the gun liked and start at that OGL but with the lack of factory loads for .260 it's hard to know where to start. Thanks!