First try at an arbitrary distance...with success!

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Seth, May 26, 2012.

1. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    I tried my first "arbitrarily distanced shot yesterday. I set up a 10" gong and drove down the dead end road I was shooting down until I guesstimated I was between 400-500 yards. My dinky rangefinder would not range to the target so I had to range out from the target around 200yards then range to my car to get the distance. The range ended up being 412 yards. I used the "MD Ballistics" iPad app(I highly recommend it, makes calculation easy) to calculate the drop. I'm shooting 175 SMKs over 45gr of Varget out of a Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD in .308. The app called for 33 clicks up on my Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56mm FFP #8 reticle. I counted off the 33 clicks and set up prone on the roof of my Jeep with a Harris bipod and a rear bean bag. I was able to put three round in a row on target! I would have shot more but ran out of ammo.
    How satisfying it is to see that gong swing and hear the "diiing" a few moments later!

I plan on slowly working my way out towards 1000yards. My gun has a 20 inch barrel so I'm not sure if I'll have the speed to get out that far but I'm going to try! I am also quickly seeing the benefit of a mil-dot/hash reticle, target turrets,and a zero-stop! Counting click isn't so fun,haha! Good news is my Zeiss is great at returning to zero after adjustment. I've emailed Zeiss to see if it's possible to add a mil type reticle and target turrets to my scope.

I was curious to know what size and style of targets are usually used for practical field comps?

2. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    A few pics of my setup. These were taken 300yds out from the target except for the close up of the hits.

I know the grouping isn't great...I think I may have be pulling on the trigger a bit too hard... IMG_0411.jpg IMG_0416.jpg IMG_0414.jpg IMG_0421.jpg

3. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Good shooting!

4. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    Got back out again this AM. It was pretty windy(15-25 mph) but I managed a hit at 504 yards and quite a few at 372 yards! The wind seemed to be blowing down the road I was set up on but L to R down at the target. I have a feeling lots of experience is needed in gauging the wind properly once you're out past a couple hundred yards. Can anyone recommend any reading on the subject?

5. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Seth
    680 yards today! Same spot but backed up all the way to the end of the road. 78 clicks up on the scope and 4 right for wind. Shooting 168 gr AMAXs over 47 grains of Varget.
    My thick reticle is pretty close to covering the target out this far...thinking really hard about a Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50...Zeiss said they could not replace the reticle and recommended again target turrets.

6. Win94ae New Member

Win94ae
    That sounds like me. I've shot at a 2 inch target at 250 yards 3 times in 3 days. I'm hoping that someone will have my bullet of choice in stock soon.

Good shooting!