CZ 550 Action reliability

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by vendetta333, Oct 15, 2012.

1. vendetta333 New Member

vendetta333
    i know that you guys are big fans/proprietors of AI systems but as far as other bolt actions which ones do you guys feel have the reliability for field comp (rem 700 not an option, i hate that action to its core)? specifically the CZ 550?

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    I haven't seen one in competition, so it is hard to say.

Even with the common factory actions, the problems are usually due to gunsmith or user "modifications" that aren't tested quite enough.

As far as other actions go, the Big Horn, Surgeon, and Sako (TRG) actions are well proven

3. vendetta333 New Member

vendetta333
    what are your thoughts on mauser style actions in general?

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    They are almost never seen in practical rifle competition. You are honestly better off starting with something that is built for and proven in precision/long-range shooting than something that is not.

5. vendetta333 New Member

vendetta333
    model 70 was the first "sniper" rifle. not to mention fnh makes tac rifles off of mod 70/mauser style actions. not trying to argue, just asking if you have any personal quams with them? or rather what it is that you like better about other actions based on your experience. thanx

6. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    We don't see many of the FNH rifles at these matches but they shoot about the same as a Remington 700 target model. In either case, the factory rifles rarely have reliability problems while ones that have been messed with do more often. If you want something better than a Remington, you need to step up further than another mass produced factory action.

7. vendetta333 New Member

vendetta333
    o, well that goes without saying, i dont like the remington based on design. poor extractor shitty safety, etc. the problem i find is that most custom actions are just remmys with sako extractors and stouter walls with a pic rail pre installed. not much to write home about. as far as reliability is conserned, what sort of things do you look for? extraction, tolerance, reliable striker, etc? is the AI trigger any simpler or shielded differently, etc. compared to other triggers?

8. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Take a look at the Big Horn action. It is not a copy of the Remington. Ray and Shane both shoot them in competitions.

I look for a rifle that does not malfunction when it's used hard and gets dirty, and demonstrates that over a long period of time. All of the things you mention can play into it.

9. USAVA New Member

USAVA
    Big horn's are sweet!!!

10. USAVA New Member

USAVA
    Any factory action "rem700 or Model70" done up by a good smith will shoot as good as any custom action. The lock time wont be as nice as a custom. If you do your job behind the trigger, some quailty glass and lots of practice are more important than a custom action.. But by the time you have a smith finish a factory action, you might as well just get a custom action.....