Carbon build up 22L

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by frozenmud, Oct 22, 2011.

1. frozenmud New Member

frozenmud
    Ran into a problem with my 22L rimfire can. I have ran a lot of rounds through it with my Walther P22, yesterday I pulled it off to put onto my AR-15 with a .22LR conversion and I could not get it to fully thread on. The P22 adapter has about 3/8 of an inch of threads and the AR has over half an inch of threads.

The threads in the can that are not protected by the P22 adapter filled up with carbon and junk. I was thinking about sending the barrel to ADCO to have them cut down the amount of threads off of the AR barrel to match the length of the P22 adapter.

Also I have been thinking about getting a ultra sonic cleaner any way and this would push me over the edge.

Or just don't worry about it and thread it on as far as it will go and call it good. I a bit nervous about getting a half 28 tap and cleaning the threads that way.

How would you fix it? Is their any one local (northern Colorado) that you would trust to cut on your barrel? Thanks for the input.

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    This happens whenever you shoot a large number of rounds (typically thousands) and then switch to a barrel with a longer threaded section. It won't happen with a small number of rounds. It happens to me when I shoot a large number of rounds on my .308 barrel and then switch to my .260 or 7mm RM. I've just knocked the carbon off the threads using a tool (made of something softer than the metal obviously). You can use a tap. Or you can use an ultrasonic cleaner or the vinegar/peroxide method.

3. frozenmud New Member

frozenmud
    Thanks Zak. I'll give that those a try. I have at least 5k through the can and no sign of ANY degradation. Great piece of hardware.