Brake vs direct thread question

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by PA452, Mar 14, 2018.

1. PA452 New Member

PA452
    Probably a stupid question, but...

I'm looking at getting an Ultra 7 and want direct thread as I don't want to permanently mount a brake on my rifles. I'm told that too make a direct thread can Thunderbeast will just semi-permanently attach a brake inside of my suppressor.

My question is, do I need it semi-permanently mounted in the can or could I use a CB model as a direct thread can by just tightening the brake inside the can myself and then screwing the whole assembly onto my rifles?

I plan to use this on bolt actions only most likely.

Thanks

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Hi

Yes, you can do that

3. PA452 New Member

PA452
    Ok, thanks. So is there any benefit then to having the brake permanently fixed inside the can?

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    The insert we use is a little bit lighter weight, and we use a special adhesive to make sure it always stays put

5. PA452 New Member

PA452
    Interesting, thanks.

Do you know what the weight difference is between the brake and the insert?

6. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Less than an ounce

7. Hugo Cantu New Member

Hugo Cantu
    Hey Zak,
    I am interested in purchasing a TB ultra 5 for my .223 but was wondering if I have to use a TB brake? My carbine already has a silencerco saker trifecta muzzle brake and would rather not purchase another brake if I don’t have to. Is my muzzle brake compatible for a TB ultra 5?

8. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    No

9. Rich New Member

Rich
    Hi Zak,
    If I screw the brake into the suppressor so I can use it on different rifles (vs purchasing multiple brakes), could there be any consistency or accuracy issues since the brake may not be timed correctly?...(assuming that I zero both rifles with the brake seated into the suppressor the same?)....note: I'm assuming that the brake will seat into the suppressor reasonably consistently when removed and screwed back in (?)...still awaiting my stamp approval, so I don't have it to check yet...
    Thank you!

10. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    No issues, but it will probably get stuck in there unless loctited to the barrel

11. Rich New Member

Rich
    Oh wow..didn't consider that. So if I want to interchange different calibers with 2 different brakes (.223 & .308), then I assume you would def recommended I loctite & purchase multiple brakes?
    Thanks so much for the quick response!

12. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    If you didn't want to install the brakes, you could use the flash hider version of the mount to interchange. It has wrench flats

13. Rich New Member

Rich
    Good idea...so I’m assuming the CB flash hiders are the ones that fit the Thunderbeast Ultra9?
    Thx!

14. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Yep