Barrel Length and Accuracy

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by dddoo7, Apr 10, 2012.

1. dddoo7 New Member

dddoo7
    I ordered a 30-p1 a couple of weeks ago and it will be going on my r-700. It is a factory barreled action in an aics. It currently has a 26" .820 muzzle barrel and is shooting 3/8 moa with handloads. I have not had the barrel threaded yet, so I still have some options. I had one smith tell me that putting a 1 lb suppressor on the end of a 26" barrel will change the harmonics and I will lose accuracy. I have no problem cutting the barrel down to 20", but I don't really want to lose much velocity (and according to some, I may not).

Question 1: What is your experience with longer barrels with a suppressor added? do they maintain accuracy?

Question 2: How much velocity would I lose if I do cut to 20", thread, and recrown? I am currently running lapua brass, 43.5g varget, and 175smk's right at 2,600 fps.

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    We all shoot 24-28" barrels for long-range competition and there are zero problems with the suppressor.

Just get threads cut, leave the crown and barrel length alone.

3. dddoo7 New Member

dddoo7
    sounds great! That is what I was hoping to hear. I would hate to tinker with a barrel that is already shooting well.

4. Paul Shepardson New Member

Paul Shepardson
    I just took possession of my .338BA on Friday!!! It will be shot on 3 different rifles (.260, .308, .338) all have different length barrells. Haven't seen any degradation of accuracy !

5. dddoo7 New Member

dddoo7
    Thanks for the reply. I am just going to leave the barrel at 26" and thread it. I am still waiting on the form 3 to clear, but when it does my class III dealer lets us shoot with him until the form 4 clears. waiting is the hard part.

6. Paul Shepardson New Member

Paul Shepardson
    Mine was received by BATFE on 11/27 and approved on 4/27.

7. dddoo7 New Member

dddoo7
    wow-- that is not bad. the form 3 to my dealer went pending march 19th, so it should clear any day. then at least I can start using it on a limited basis.

8. Vapor08 New Member

Vapor08
    Have 30BA on 26" Remington 700 5R. Did experience poi change. Not a big deal either dial it in or plug it in to your PDA program. I've seen improved accuracy and with Thunder Beast greatly improved precision!

9. dddoo7 New Member

dddoo7
    That sounds great. I sent my barreled action to the smith last week. It is going to be threaded at 26". It is not a 5r, but I am anxious to see how it shoots when I get it back.

10. Shhh..Rabbits New Member

Shhh..Rabbits
    In Dec. I ordered a 30P-1 and plan to use it on .243win (26" factory Remy varmint), .260 rem (EA Brown 26" barrel), and a .308 win 5r Remy. I do not plan on cutting back or re-crowing any of these barrels unless Zak or someone from TBAC recommends me to do so.

I'm interested in hearing the experiences of what others with similar barrels have discovered (performance wise or really anything I should be aware of). This will be my first center fire can. But likely will not be the last!

p.s. I have access to a 1000 yard range and I plan to use it to the max when possible.

11. dddoo7 New Member

dddoo7
    My sps-v in 308 is threaded at 26". It shoots great with my 30P-1, but if I had it to do over I would cut it down some. 26" is really long with a 9" suppressor on the end. Also, poi drops 4" when I attach my suppressor. I attribute that to the long semi flexible barrel. I am also getting 2600 fps with only 43.5g of varget and 175 smk's. you can't have the cake and eat it too.

Shhh..Rabbits likes this.
  12. Shhh..Rabbits New Member

Shhh..Rabbits
    Just an update. Received my stamp, got my .243 threaded and I have taken the can to try it out a out a number of times. POI has not changed from outing to outing. Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper!