6.5x47 Lapua OAL

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Reed, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Reed New Member

Reed
    Zak,

Was wondering when you did the testing on the 6.5x47 Lapua in your AW what was your OAL of the round with the 139 Scenars? Trying to load some with different charges before my rifle gets here. Thanks.

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    I was loading those at 2.735"

3. Reed New Member

Reed
    Ok Thanks.

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    In the 6.5x47, I would advise to resist the temptation to meet .260's ballistics. While you might be able to do it, the barrel life will be commensurately shorter than if you just loaded to a reasonable level.

5. Reed New Member

Reed
    With pressure signs being recognized in terms of pierced primers with a large firing pin app. would you say the 123gr or 139gr Scenar in the way to go. I would estimate that pressure signs would be less with the 123 gr since resistance/pressure is lower. Thanks.

6. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    I would not assume that you'll see a pierced primer as the primary indicator of pressure. In the AI, it is likely, though.

In the 6.5x47, I thought a 123 or 130 was a better fit to keep the velocity up.

7. vendetta333 New Member

vendetta333
    comparing factory match 260rem and factory match 6.5x47lap; would you say there is any substantial difference in barrel life? i'm mainly thinking about during longer strings of fire, would the difference in barrel heat be worth choosing the 47?

8. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    I don't think so. When loaded to the same pressure, the 6.5x47 should have slightly more barrel life due to a little less powder. But you get less performance too. If you hotrod the 6.5x47, barrel life will be diminished.

9. vendetta333 New Member

vendetta333
    thanks for the info!