.338 Lapua Brass opinions... Lapua v Norma v Nosler

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by jfarr, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jfarr New Member

jfarr
    Wish Lapua sold in less than 100 ct as a new reloader and new owner of that caliber, but wanted to see if anyone here has opinions on Norma or Nosler as well.
    Pricing is all very close, in fact Norma seem to be most expensive with most complaints online about "softness". Can't really find anything on Nosler other than a few reviews here/there but it is nice to be able to buy in smaller qty's than say 100.

I also have about 30 cases of Sellier & Belloit that were loaded ammo with 250gr SMK's that I shot and wonder if anyone has reloaded that brass before.

Thanks for any opinions/guidance. I am new to reloading as a whole and brand new to the 338 lapua component of it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    I don't think we've seen the S&B .338LM brass, so I can't comment on it.

Nosler brass is very good.

We usually use Lapua

3. jfarr New Member

jfarr
    ^^^^^^^
    Thanks Zak! Figured you used Lapua primarily based on your posts on .260 Rem and .308.
    Have a box of Nosler heading my way after your input to try out and use in load development.
    S&B was factory loaded ammo with SMK's 250gr. Was widespread at CTD, Midway, etc. say 4-6 months ago and now like most other firearms related stuff is nowhere to be found.
    I will reload those as well and post my thoughts here after I run them through a cycle or two.

4. Scott Barnett New Member

Scott Barnett
    Lapua fan. At one point had around 1200 rounds of .338 Lapua brass, purchased back when it was $1.16 per case. I see where its running between $2.47 and $2.89 per these days. Never had a problem with the Lapua stuff, the Norma on the other hand, was problematic. It did everything the Lapua brass did until I started to anneal the necks. Whatever matallurgy Norma was using it definitely had a different annealing point than did the Lapua brass. What temps would anneal the Lapua brass would actually cause crystal embrittlement of the Norma necks. Turned all of that brass into 50 Whisper and went through four barrels on my Sako TRG-42 with the 1200 rounds of Lapua brass. Never a problem with it with ANY of the Lapua brass even with some of the experimental loading that I occasionally did with the caliber. Just prior to selling my TRG-42 I did acquire some of the PRVI Partisan .338 lapua brass and gave it a go. Not in the same league as the Lapua brass, but then again, what is. For some reason I still have 250 rounds of brass for the .338 just laying around. Noted that it was only once fired for load build up. Nowdays I've dumbed down to a little pissy girly gun 6.5X47 Lapua. God only knows what possessed me! I hate the damn thing! I can shoot it all day long, I don't get to flinching after 40 or 50 rounds, can of powder lasts longer than four cartridges, and whats really has me pissed is the barrel has lasted longer than 800 rounds!!!!! What will I do with all of that saved money? Probably go out and build another .338 Lapua Mag just because I can! And the brass for the 6.5X47 Lapua, built like a containment vessel for a nuclear reactor!

5. Charles Killian New Member

Charles Killian
    Bruno Shooters Supply does sell the Lapua brass by the piece. It is priced at 2.53 each, and surprise, they have it in stock as of 5/01/2013.
    I

6. LeeH New Member

LeeH
    I shot a box of S&B "Once"...besides being very inaccurate, It was crap as to reloading.
    Very soft and would split necks at the drop of a hat.
    Nothing but Lapua now!!!.