338 BA stuck on BA muzzle brake

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Scott M Bainbridge, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Scott M Bainbridge New Member

Scott M Bainbridge
    Let a buddy shoot my rifle today with BA brake torqued on. Shot 10 rounds and when he took can off the brake came off with. How do I get brake out of can? I ultrasound cleaned can thinking this would help brake up the carbon and help let loose the brake. I cleaned out the threads on can and rifle and red locktite the brake back on. Let sit for 4 hours. The brake can and barrel all threaded off. Got the can/brake off of the barrel. Now what?????? Scott

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Try cleaning both threads and re-do the red and let it sit for 24 hours. You can also try striking the rear outer circumference of the suppressor (ie, right over the brake threads or about 1" in from the rear of the can) pretty hard with a rubber mallet or dead blow rubber hammer. It should come off. If it doesn't, call us.

3. Scott M Bainbridge New Member

Scott M Bainbridge
    Thanks. Ill give it a try. Tried the rubber hammer trick. No luck. Ill let sit for 24 hours with locktite and try again.

4. Larry Rankine New Member

Larry Rankine
    Did the last trick work? I'm in the same exact situation with my .338. Will be trying hammer this afternoon as I reapplied the Loctite yesterday. If this doesn't work will I need to send it back for a repair or should I try adding heat to the process?

5. Larry Rankine New Member

Larry Rankine
    Ok, the reapplication of Loctite and hammer trick worked! So now I'd like to reinstall the brake and would like to know your recommendations for a solvent to use on the brake and barrel threads so I can start "clean." Also curious if after the installation should I be using any kind of lubricant on the suppressor threads? Thanks!