30BA Muzzle Brake

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by hals1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. hals1 New Member

hals1
    I am considering getting a 30BA and 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 brakes as I want to use it on .223 and .308. What are these brakes like when the suppressor is not installed? I have heard many brakes are substantially louder (especially to the side) than the normal A2 flash suppressor.
    The alternative is to get a 1/2" to 5/8" adapter for my .223s. http://www.silencershop.com/shop/12-28-to-58-24-adapter is what I have found for that option.
    Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
    Hal

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Yes, brakes are louder than other muzzle device. It's due to the physics. Brake effectiveness is roughly proportional to how loud they are

3. hals1 New Member

hals1
    OK. How effective is the TBAC muzzle brake? I'm hoping not very I think?
    Another question. Do you time them with a crush washer or shims?
    Maybe I'll just use a Tornado adapter and a screw-on supressor.

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    It's quite effective.

We include a peel washer for timing and there are instructions included.

5. Jay New Member

Jay
    Since the break was mentioned, I figured I would ask in this thread instead of starting another. Hopefully this will be info someone else would like to know as well. Sorry in advance for hijacking.

I am curious... on the 1/2 X 28 break you mention is has a .223 caliber aperture. Sorry for the question but what does that mean exactly?

As for the break when the suppressor is not installed... I took my .308 hunting in Colorado last year and had not received my stamp yet so off I went with the break installed and no can. I fired three shots at long range and even in the open, it was noticeably louder. Not terrible but i did get a slight bit of ringing. Now that I have the can, it is amazingly quiet.

6. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    It means you can only shoot .22 caliber (including .223/5.56) through the 30BA brake that is 1/2-28 because it's intended for .223 rifles.

7. Jay New Member

Jay
    I should have figured as much. I guess I was thinking caliber specific for all breaks and confused myself. Thank you for the reply.

8. Jared New Member

Jared
    Do you recommend against timing with a crush washer for any reason? I find them easier to use.

9. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Yes, you have to use the peel washer. Crush washers do not stay flat

10. scsmith42 New Member

scsmith42
    I have a 30BA on order which I plan to use on multiple hosts (.22, .223 and .308), and I have a question about the best thread size to use. Both my .223 and 308 have barrel diameters of .910; is there any reason why I should not use the 3/4" thread BA on these two hosts? My thought is that the larger that the end of the barrel is, the stronger it will be.

Also, of the different thread pitch 3/4" BA's, are there any compelling reasons to select a 28 pitch thread over the 20, etc? Thanks.

11. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    3/4 would be fine. We'd recommend x24 TPI.