30 PS on thin barrels?

Discussion in 'Silencers' started by Gatorgrizz27, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Gatorgrizz27 New Member

Gatorgrizz27
    I am considering purchasing a 30 PS, however I have 3 rifles with thin barrels significantly under the dimensions you require for a proper shoulder. I was wondering if there is an alternative method to make sure the suppressor is perfectly true to the bore, such as cutting target crowns on the rifles and having a threaded insert made for the inside of the suppressor that is perfectly square. The rifles I currently have and their muzzle diameters are:

.30-06, 24" barrel, 0.624" D
    7.62x39, 16" barrel, 0.598" D
    .223, 20" barrel, 0.570" D

Please let me know if there is any way to mount the 30 PS to these rifles short of rebarreling them with a heavier contour.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    You pretty much need the spec'd shoulder diameter to keep them straight.

For the .223, you could use a 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 thread adapter and it's "probably" close enough to the 1/2-28 min diameter.

You can get away with going a little bit under the spec but not a whole lot.

3. Gatorgrizz27 New Member

Gatorgrizz27
    Thanks for the reply, it looks like I will have to figure out an alternate solution. I have seen a few factory .308 rifles that come with 1/2-28 threads, which would give me the required shoulder on the .30-06 and 7.62x39. I realize it isn't ideal as it makes the barrel walls thinner at the tip, but your silencers are fairly light.

Would running the 30 BAS suppressor with the brake shoulder faced on a lathe be a better option? Basically the barrel threads would be cut on the lathe to 5/8-24, the brake would be installed and timed, and then it would have the shoulder turned on the lathe to be perfectly concentric to the bore?

Thanks again for your time.

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    We do not recommend 1/2 threads for a .30 caliber. We don't believe there is enough metal there. A suppressor has a lot more pulling force than a brake.

The rear face of a "BA" series brake should not be modified at all. It is almost impossible to keep the surface perfectly normal to the threads' bore once you start to modify it. You might be able to get a gunsmith to "semi permanently" mount a BA brake to a barrel with a smaller shoulder, but then again, it comes down to what is mechanically holding the BA brake true to the bore.