2012 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'Matches and Competition' started by Zak Smith, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    COMPETITION DYNAMICS and THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION present The
    2012 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE
    OCT 26-28, 2012 at the Blue Steel Ranch (Logan, NM)

This match is an extreme test of practical field rifle shooting and its supporting activities. Two-man teams will be required to navigate rugged desert terrain, recognize, locate, range, and engage challenging rifle targets from compromised shooting positions, communicate with their partner and the range officer (RO), and do it under time constraints. This match consists of three hour-long field stages, two night stages, and six "assault" stages.

[​IMG]

The rest of the details are available on the
    MATCH WEB SITE

Some quotes from 2011 competitors:

"Hoser" Freeman - This has got to be one of the funnest and toughest matches I have ever shot. Mike and I finished each field course completely drenched in sweat and heart pounding. Trying to find that wall of how hard to push movement and still being able to settle in to shoot was a great challenge. The night stages were deceptively tough and the assault stages were brutal and fun. The prize table was awesome. Hard to imagine it was all set up well into well after most all companies had done their budgets for the year. Huge thanks to all the companies that supported this match and us shooters. The scoring was perfect. No issues, no drama. I cant wait for next year. Bring it.

Mike Kolar (SRM Match Director) - "I'm really excited about this match -- I want to shoot it again right now!"

FCB on SnipersHide.com - "This was by far the best match I've ever been to and the best test of a rifleman that I've seen."

Quickdraw40 on SnipersHide.com (Team Pro Plate) - "We are lucky in Colorado (Wyoming/Northern New Mexico area) to have venues such as the Blue Steel Ranch. We are also lucky we have persons (Thunderbeast/Competition Dynamics team) who are willing to take the time to organize and run such matches. No square range shooting here folks and you better be in shape. If you have shot Steel Safari, this was like Steel Safari on crack with super cool side matches thrown in for fun. Organized well, no drama, super quick scoring, and an amazing prize table. Thank you to Zak, Ray, Dave, Loraine, Jeff, and all of the ROs. It was a great time!"

2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Teams registered to date
    JH and SM
    JM and SD
    DT and JS
    JV and FA
    TP and GD

3. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    BZ and BM
    MD and HF

4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    LD and ML
    BY and JS
    JG and JH

5. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    BB and BB

6. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    RC and WG
    CP and TY

7. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    RF and JH

8. DT1 New Member

DT1
    Hey Zak,

My partner and I are looking forward to shooting the 2012 TB Team Challenge! We've shot plenty of matches but none quite like this.

Can you briefly comment on the carbine configurations that were used effectively in previous matches? Specifically trying to decide on things like caliber (AR-15 223 vs AR-10 308W) and scope magnification range (3-12x vs 1-6x). If 3-12x, would a side mounted iron or dot be helpful for the assault courses?

I'm sure there are more important factors that will contribute to a strong performance like making hits from atypical positions, estimating target ranges and teamwork/communication. Just curious about the carbine configuration.

Thanks!
    David

9. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Sure.

First, let me comment on the role of the "Carbine Shooter's carbine". On the field courses, leaving any of his 3 targets per station is very costly, and it is important to make hits as quickly as possible. Either wasting time getting hits or leaving un-hit carbine targets can harm the team's score considerably. On the assault courses, he has to quickly engage targets at close range with the same carbine; however, absolute engagement speed usually did not dominate the team performance on these assault courses.

I personally think the right choice for that carbine is a 18 or 20" AR-15 in 5.56 with a scope that has magnification 2-8, 3-9, 3-12, etc, with a first-focal plane reticle, and has regular long-range shooting knobs and a reticle that can be used in a pinch for holdover (gen 2 mildot or P4 style would be fine). Some teams did well using a TA01 ACOG. I normally shoot a TA11 ACOG in 3Gun and I could make that work but I'd prefer a little more reticle precision and magnification. One team used an OBR in .308 for the carbine and it was a success. One team used a 6.5 Grendel AR-15 (24") and any advantage was washed out by other factors. A 6.5 Grendel in the same package I described at the beginning of this paragraph would be an interesting choice that has the potential for some advantage, but it might not be worth the trouble. If the carbine shooter can spot his own hits and send follow up shots quickly that will save the most time.

A second dot is not permitted on the carbine per the rules.

10. Ron Fish New Member

Ron Fish
    My partner used a 3x ACOG last year; it was difficult to hit all the carbine targets on the field stages. Knowing what we know now, additional magnification would've been helpful on the field courses.

11. DT1 New Member

DT1
    Zak & Ron,

Thanks for the feedback and info, most helpful!

One other quick question, on the "assault" courses, It looks like both shooters enter a marked area, identify and shoot the paper targets. Do both shooters engage an evenly distributed number of targets or just shoot 'em as you see 'em? Hard to tell from the You Tube videos I've looked at.

Thanks for indulging the first timer questions!

12. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    It all depends on the stage briefing...

13. Here2Learn New Member

Here2Learn
    But backup irons are allowed right?

14. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    yes

15. zia shooter 1 New Member

zia shooter 1
    I was working on planning meals to eat during the match and would like to know if we are near our trucks and are able to stop by them around lunch and dinner time. Also is there a place to grab breakfast before heading out to the range?

16. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    You'll have a short break between the morning field courses and the afternoon assault courses.

We usually grab a sandwich at the Subway in Logan before leaving in the morning and save half for lunch.

17. zia shooter 1 New Member

zia shooter 1
    That sounds easy enough. What are most people doing for dinner?

18. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Most head to a restaurant, depending on when they finish their last assault stage. Keep in mind you will have to be back to shoot the night stages at 7pm Fri and Sat

19. quickdraw New Member

quickdraw
    Well.... I have a long list of thank you's..... Zak for a great match (fair, quick scoring, no drama, etc), suggesting I do CrossFit a year ago, recommending a 260 AIAW, and being an overall asset to the sport. Ray for being an all around great guy and an amazing shooter and instructor. All of the RO's who gave up three days of their time to chase us around the desert insuring a great match. Dave and Lorraine for having us at their amazing facility a second time this year. Jeff and Ann for the great prize table, nobody knows the time spent on this task. Ann (again) for not freaking out when I took a bad digger and dropped more than a few too many F bombs during her stage. Bruce and Brandon for sewing my melon between stages, saving a six hour trip to the hospital (and probably missing a night shoot). All of the match sponsors, especially Barrett for placing TWO 98 Bravos on the prize table. Frank for training with us. My sponsors (Steiner, TriggerTime, 3GunStuff, Spuhr, Victor Co., Snipershide) for their support and bulletproof gear. My Steiner scope and Spuhr mount took a direct fall (with me on top of them) on a bed of rocks and continued to perform flawlessly. Sky for putting up with me for 12 hours in a car and being a world class carbine shooter. My friends and teammates (Jess, Lane, Ken, Beck, Tom, Dino, Dorgan, Fish, and Chuck) for always being willing to take off last minute and do an overnight trip to a shoot. GREAT job Thunderbeast/Competition Dynamics (I noticed at least the top six teams were running Thunderbeast suppressors). :) RJ

20. Tom Phillips New Member

Tom Phillips
    Zak:
    I would like to say Thank you and Ray,Anne and Jeff for all the hard work you did to put on a kick ass match. To say I enjoyed the match would be a gross understatement. It was a huge effort on all of your parts and all of the RO's were outstanding. Hope to do it again next year.