2011 Thunder Beast Team Challenge

Discussion in 'Matches and Competition' started by Zak Smith, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
  2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    ROUGH MAP
    [​IMG]

3. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
  4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    The range is now closed to shooting (or scouting) until the match. I will be heading down on Sunday to do final prep and to establish the new course.

If you have an urgent need to contact me, leave a voicemail. It is the most reliable way to get a hold of me in Logan and at the Blue Steel Ranch. I normally have email access in the evening only.

5. quickdraw New Member

quickdraw
    From the Shooter Info Packet; under 'Teams'..... 5. states the rifle shooter must also carry his rifle (while shooting carbine) in a safe configuration, Under Assault 1-3 Procedure and Scoring (Stages 4-6) it states the Rifle Shooter is not required to carry his rifle on the Assault Stages. Please clarify. Thank you!

6. quickdraw New Member

quickdraw
    From the Shooter Info Packet; under 2. Carbines, it states they must conform to "tactical division" rules, but then 4.3. mentions secondary optics for use on carbines. Does this mean you can put a secondary optic on the carbine and cover the main optic for the gully stages? Thanks again.

7. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Good catch. 4.3 does not apply. It lists something that would be considered as a "shooting accessory", but since secondary optics are not allowed on tactical class carbines (Equipment rule 2.6) it's moot.

Sorry for the confusion.

8. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    Good catch x2.

The Assault Stage info supersedes the rules pages (and info at the shooters' meeting and stage briefing supersedes anything prior).

Basically what happened is that due to the terrain and some obstacles you'll have to negotiate, I dropped that requirement for the assault stages. You'll thank me Friday...

9. quickdraw New Member

quickdraw
    Thank you Zak.

10. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    We're all back from the match and the feedback I've gotten so far has been very positive. One of the best compliments I got was from a guy who has been shooting 3Gun and Long-range for decades longer than I have - on Sunday when it was done: "I'm really excited about this match -- I want to shoot it again right now!" (paraphrased)

I hope some of the competitors can post their impressions of the match.

Results http://competition-dynamics.com/thunder-beast-team-challenge-2011/scores.pdf

We have some photo and video that I'll get up soon.

11. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Zak Smith
    For those of you who didn't make it, the following should give you a flavor for what this match was about:

Match Info Packet
    http://competition-dynamics.com/thunder-beast-team-challenge-2011/handout.pdf

Map
    http://competition-dynamics.com/thunder-beast-team-challenge-2011/map.jpg

Field 1, 2, 3: You had an hour to follow a rugged cross-country trail marked by ribbons and shoot five shooting stations. At each shoot station the carbine shooter had to hit 3 targets before the rifle shooter could engage his (one shot each only for rifle). Rifle hits gained points; bonus points for finishing early. Approx trail distance 0.5-1.25 miles each.

Assault 1, 2, 3: These were held in the numerous, long, and deep gullies that cover much of the BSR property. On Assault 1, you crested a short saddle point into an open field with an central mound that marked a fault line and then engaged a bunch of carbine targets approx 30-40 yards away in the hillside and brush/trees. On Assault 2, each team member had to clear a Byzantine set of fingers which were almost cave-like, and then retrieve a painted stake. Upon return, the other team member did the same to a second area. On Assault 3, there was an approx 120 yard long run down a deep and narrow gully with targets littered on each side, many of them hidden if you were running too fast.

Teamwork: Rifle shooter had 5 6" targest at 300 yards to hit once each. Each time he missed the carbine shooter had to hit 3 8-10" targets at 200 yards before the rifle shooter could engage again. Shot from short tower.

Night 1: 10 "figures" were downrange at 100 yards. 6 had cardboard-color faces and 2 had white (no-shoot) faces. Rifle shooter had two minutes to shoot the 6 shoot targets (1 point each). Each no-shoot hit was -3. No lighting permitted; targets were lit by military-style strobe light approx 2 yards in front of them.

Night 2: four targets, 400, 280, 230, 160 (approx). Carbine shooter had to shoot them in reverse order, par time one minute.

Field 1-3 were worth 200 match points; Assault 1-3 100; the rest were 50.

Here are the photos I have uploaded right now-

Assault 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Field 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First place team
    [​IMG]

12. Austin Angus New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Austin Angus
    The match was EPIC!!!

Congrats to Hoser and Mike!

13. Hoser New Member

Hoser
    More than EPIC. Friggin hard and fun. That is a tough balancing act.