Leica 1600 LRF

Discussion in 'Practical Long-Range Rifle Shooting' started by Seth, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Ive seen that Europtics has the 1600 LRF on sale for $650. I've read in one of Zak's articles that he recommends them. The only target I'm using right now for long range shooting is a 10" steel plate hanging on a small metal frame. I'm just curious if the Leica unit will be able to range my target without anything else around it like trees etc. out to 1000 yards? I had a bushnell that was rated out to 850 but it wouldn't pick it up past 500. I realize the Leica is a big step up over a bushnell from Wally-world but I want to be sure it will be useful for my purpose. Thanks!
  2. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    I recommend the Swarovski over the Leica.
  3. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Gotcha. I'm looking for a used swaro now. If I can't find one for what I have to spend, will a Leica work well enough to range my target out to 1000 yds?
  4. Zak Smith Operations

• Instructor
    Probably. The Swaro will out range the Leice in the same conditions by a noticeable margin
  5. Paul Shepardson New Member

My Leica 1600 Can range cattle/elk at 1700. I have ranged trees at 1900+.
  6. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Thanks Paul! Have you used yours a lot to range small steel targets? Like my post said I have a 10 inch steel plate that I'm currently using to practice. I'd like to be able to range it to 1000 yards.
    I really would love to just buy a swaro but $1000 is quite a chunk of change. The best used price I've found is 700 which is still more than a new Leica at 650. Also, there are quite a few used Leica 1200s for 3-400. Just trying to make the best use of limited funds! Also, I've been eyeing the zeiss LRF...SWFA has one used for 475ish...I've read some good comments on them.
    Thanks again!
  7. Paul Shepardson New Member

I don't use it on steel targets. But I don't see how it wouldn't work well. I have not used the Swarovski units.
  8. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Well, I talked to one of the guys at SWFA and they are going to let me try out the Zeiss unit and see if I like it and if it will do what I want it to. They said if it doesn't fit the bill I can return it and trade up for a swaro (or leica) without losing any dough.
    They have a few used Swaros as well but the cheapest is still $800. If the $475 Zeiss will work, I'll take it!
  9. Ryo New Member

I've used the Leica 1600 in the past. It was a nice unit, but I was having difficulty ranging a steel target at 1275 yards. Of course it could have been due to me not being able to hold it steady since I didn't have anything I could brace it against to stabilize the measurement. It did handle 1000 yards without issues.

I've upgraded to the Vectronix and that thing is amazing.. though it's probably out of the price range you wanted to pay.
  10. Paul Shepardson New Member

I also have a Vectronix Terapin on order. Now, I have a range finder that can range farther than i can shoot :).
  11. Seth New Member

• Thunder Beast Shooter
    Thanks Ryo, I actually lucked up and found a mint Swarovski on eBay for $600 a couple of weeks ago. It's been great so far. I've been able to range individual trees out to 800 or so. Being able to hold steady is definitely a must...I'm still getting used to doing it the right way. In the terrain we have here in SC especially where I hunt and shoot, there are few hard, reflective targets. Also, as flat as the land is, it's hard to range off of the ground as well. With all that being said, the swaro is head and shoulders above the bushnell I started with.
  12. Ryo New Member

No kidding.. the Vectronix goes way far out. I haven't tried aiming that guy out as far as I've seen some people had posted.. but it was definitely showing 2-3 times further than it was rated for.. though I wonder how accurate the measurement it return was. I really need to try it, but I get consistent good reading out to 1300 yards.

No problem Seth, glad you got lucky. You can definitely find deals out there.. I sold my Leica 1600 when I got my Vectronix for a reasonable price, and it was in mint condition.